Assumptions about the origins of Thiviers are numerous. It seems that the etymology of his name is Gaelic or Celtic words by Tigernack, Tivernack, Tigern or Tivern that mean "House of Chiefs". The city was invaded in turn by the Barbarians, Romans, Visigoths, Franks and Arabs that offers many alternatives.
Latin gives us diverse backgrounds as possible trivio which means the intersection of three roads or as Tiberius, the emperor's name who chose this strategic location to build or Tiberii Tiberium on the route of the old Roman road Vésone (Périgueux) to Augustoritum (Limoges) through Fines (Firbeix).
It would have changed the Clovis last name Tiverius, which gave Tiveris deformation, Tiberio, Tyberio, who gave Thiviers.
The Middle Ages
The first traces of authenticated documents relating to the city dates back to the eleventh century. City Frankish Thiviers had the right to beat his own money at the start of the French monarchy. In addition, it was in the twelfth century one of 32 walled towns of Périgord.
The city on the pilgrimage of Saint Jacques de Compostela, becomes a stronghold built around its church and its castles at number three at the time: Fur coats located in front of the church, Castle Vaucocourt behind the church and the castle Banceil serving as the first defense attacks from Périgueux.
Like any feudal city, Thiviers was surrounded by fortifications, ramparts and walls lined with wide and deep ditches. She also had within it a prison, a parade, a convent, a small hospital.
Entered the city through three gates: the gate of Pèze north door of the tower to the west and the door Thou (or Tuna) to the south, but the access or more just out of the city could be by underground (buried mostly later). In addition, many fortified castles and manors flourished around Thiviers such as mansion Limagnes the castle Filolie, or that of Planeau.
The city was occupied and sacked several times: English possession annexed by Richard Heart of Lion, the city again became French in the twelfth century. Jean Sans Terre, King of England, seized in 1211 and Guy, Viscount of Limoges, conquered in 1212. It is again repeated by the English who were driven out during the reign of Charles VI.
Built in the fourteenth century Provost, Catholic city Thiviers suffered in 1575 the seat of the Calvinist Henri, vicomte de Turenne.
Thoroughfare frequented regularly changed Thiviers "owner" in the aftermath of internal wars and rivalries, revolts and revolutions, "helping hands" or guerrillas of all kinds. She also had to endure famine, or pestilence.
However, the city managed to rebuild somehow over the centuries.
From the eighteenth century
The terminus of the railway line secondary path metric St. Yrieix - Thiviers, tramways of Dordogne.
In the second half of the eighteenth century, the city saw the installation of its first post office and its first Faience factory.
Thiviers without executions across the French Revolution, but not without damage since the records of the city were burned and razed the castle of Pélisses. The city found a real stability in 1794, when its important first mayor Theulier Jean, was elected.
The city was served by rail from 1861, when the line was opened Limoges-Benedictines station - Périgueux, and became a railway junction with commissioning in 1892 The line-Queroy Pranzac - Thiviers (closed to passengers in 1940 and goods in 1971), and in 1898, the line Thiviers - Saint-Aulaire - Brive (closed to passengers in 1940 and goods in 1986) She was also the terminus of a line Tramways of the Dordogne to Yrieix, which functioned from 1912 to 1943.
Then, she entered a phase of agricultural development over industrial and commercial in the first place. The first firemen department was created in 1872.
To the growing needs of the city energy, Thiviers is endowed in 1876 plant fueled gas from coal which remained in operation until 1960.
Meanwhile, electricity, was brought late in 1923. In 1904, appeared the first public school for boys. Subsequently, girls were admitted.
Family Vaucocourt (or Vaucocour or Veaucocours) has contributed much to the history of Thiviers. His first tracks in the city date back to at least the eleventh century.
Vaucocourt Family did build the castle of the same name for centuries and were the leaders of the city.
In May 1640, Francis Vaucocourt Governor went to Abjat where he was assassinated. There are two hypotheses for his murder. The first says that the Lord suffered a revolt against the king's service, and the inhabitants of this village have molested to death. The second most popular qu'officielle says that Francis went to Vaucocourt Fargeas on the road to taking off Abjat a beautiful young woman. Jean Masfrand have heard of this project and have given a mortal blow to the lord.
This crime was tried and severely punished: people have been executed in the public square, especially the hall razed and the bell (900 kg) of the Abjat church confiscated and given to the family Vaucocourt for its castle chapel (Chapel whose bell tower collapsed a few years later because of the weight of the bell).
Thiviers family, who died in 1729, was a direct branch of the family Vaucocourt. The latter is extinguished by the males in the early nineteenth century, but is represented in the female line by Mas Veaucocours.
Another family is closely related to Thiviers Theulier family. Its origins date back at least seventeenth century: Mr. Theulier was appointed consul of the city in 1608.
The "eye ointment widow Farnier", created in 1764, is due to the family, the maiden name of the widow was Theulier, this ointment was manufactured and distributed by the family.
In the nineteenth century, Dr. Jules Theulier was nicknamed for his charity and kindness "doctor of the poor", for recognition of his works, a street bears his name. His son, Albert, long time mayor, councilor and deputy, did much to Thiviers, creation of kindergarten, park, etc..
Since 1922, the home of the family became the town hall and its adjacent land, the park Theulier.